Shopping Traffic delivered by Social Networks

Hitwise has published figures on the downstream traffic delivered by social networks to retailer sites during the last two weeks including Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Basis for the measurement is a custom category of 155 social networks with a reach of 10 % of all US internet traffic.

The service has found a significant increase of downstream traffic by social networks to the top 500 retailer sites within the last two weeks. As one may expect Facebook and Twitter deliver most of the traffic. This started with 2.5 % for Facebook and about 1.7 % for Twitter in the middle of November and ended up by 3.68 % and 2.53 % at the end of the month. Together both networks generated 6.21 % of all shopping traffic.

This share becomes even more important, if contemplating that shoppers may access shopping destinations directly.

Holiday shopping with social networks

Directory Sources: Business Networking, Document SharingMarket Studies, Research